Monday, 31 August 2015

REVIEW: Zone Football League Semi Finals 1st Leg

Zone Premier League Wrap-Up:

Cardiff City did the first part of their job in their Semi Final 1st Leg with Beresfield. They've held the Hawks scoreless in their home leg and now they travel to Bero next week knowing for every goal they score, Beresfield will need two. I've seen this exact situation happen in the New-FM competition with a team progressing on away goals. A crucial result for the Tigers but they no doubt would have rathered a win.

In the other game, the Newcastle Suns took one big step towards an unlikely Grand Final appearance, winning 1-0 on the road at Swansea. They now return to Connolly Park knowing the tie is firmly in their favour as long as they score the first goal this Saturday. It's a big weekend for the local Macedonian football community with the Suns hosting the Semi's on Saturday and Magic hosting the NPL Grand Final on Sunday.


Zone League One Wrap-Up:

Away leg wins mean a world of good in a Semi Final series and Morisset United did the job they needed to do at Corroba Oval. The Strikers have had a quality season and will be promoted to the ZPL. The job's only half done. Despite winning the premiership, the Strikers will want to sign off on their 2015 season with a Grand Final win. The Sharks won't roll over so it's sure to be an entertaining clash at Morisset this weekend.

In the opposite Semi Final, Cooks Hill United were stunned as they went down 3-1 to Warners Bay. The Cookers Zone team haven't missed the Grand Final in a fair few years but now face the likelihood of elimination. The away goal could come in handy though.


Zone League Two Wrap-Up:

Hamilton Olympic allowed their Zone League Two side to use Darling Street Oval and it wasn't a lucky omen as they went down 4-2 to the University. The boys in  blue now face a tough test away from home if they want to make the Grand Final which they happen to be hosting at Darling Street this season.

At the TAFE, Hunter Simba came out firing and were up 2-0 after the first 15 minutes. Both goals were scored from dead ball situations. Raymond Terrace scored twice before half time to re-install their confidence. In the second half, the Rangers would score first but Simba scored again from the dead ball, converting a penalty with 20 minutes remaining.

The visitors pushed hard late and scored a neat top corner goal off a free kick to make it 4-3. A late scramble off the back end of a corner was put into the net by the Terrace to give them a vital 5-3 away leg win. Goalscorers for Raymond Terrace were Clinton Lanesbury (x3), Kevin Roberts and my source wasn't sure on the last one as it was a scramble of legs.

A big thanks to the Raymond Terrace boys for sending in a review. It'd be great to see more Zone sides do the same so I can write some more in-depth stuff. 


Zone League Three Wrap-Up:

What a weekend for Wallsend F.C. The New-FM boys won the title and the ZL3 boys put one firm foot into a Grand Final appearance. The RAAF were gunned down (not literally!) on their home turf and now face an uphill battle to get into the GF at West Wallsend.

Over at Alder Park, New Lambton F.C fired their way into a fairly certain Grand Final appearance with a convincing 4-0 win over Dudley-Redhead. Sure the tie's only half over but not many teams come back from a 4-0 first leg loss. I'm sure Dudley will fight till the end though.

No comments:

Post a comment