Tuesday, 7 July 2015

PREVIEW: Mid-Week Catch Up Games

1st Grade: Wallsend F.C (3rd) v Lake Macquarie City (2nd)
Kickoff: Wednesday 8th July 7:45pm
Last Time They Met: Lake Macquarie City 9-4 Wallsend F.C

First of all, whoever scheduled this massive clash on the night of the Origin Decider should definitely reconsider doing that in the future as it'll no doubt affect crowd numbers and what not. I know a lot of footballers don't care about rugby league but a lot do and to schedule this on Origin night is just strange. Anyway I've got a set-top box so I'll be able to watch both and will be at The Gardens for this one.

One wouldn't be excused for thinking that Lakes are cursed. They have the absolute toughest schedule you could ever wish to avoid in the race for promotion. Wallsend tomorrow night, Kahibah next Wednesday and then Valentine next Saturday. Add in a game against a desperate Cooks Hill side and a road trip to unpredictable and dangerous Singleton and the Roosters have a very tough few weeks.

It's quiet obvious that whoever finishes top of the table will be no doubt the deserved winners as this year's competition is incredibly tight. And make no doubt about it, after two-straight losses, this game is do-or-die for Wallsend's title hopes. I'm prepared to say that.

Lakes have played a lot of catch-up games as of late so they'll be ready for this one, especially after having the bye on the weekend and with the form they're in I wouldn't be surprised if they beat the Red Devils here. This fixture produced an insane amount of goals earlier in this season when Lakes won 9-4 and whilst there's no way that'll happen, I think Lakes will get the job done.

My Tip: Wallsend 1-3 Lakes

Under 23's: Wallsend F.C (8th) v Lake Macquarie City (2nd)
Kickoff: Wednesday 8th July 6:00pm
Last Time They Met: Lake Macquarie City 1-1 Wallsend F.C

Wallsend F.C's 23's haven't hit great heights this season but have been decent as of late with wins over the Belswans and local rivals West Wallsend. They also pushed top four Thornton to the limit in a 4-3 loss this weekend gone so there's some decency in the side, not enough to beat Lakes in my opinion though.

The Roosters' reserves would have noted top of the table Valentine's draw with Kahibah on the weekend and will know if they win both of their catch-up games, they'll be within four points of the Phoenix and considering they play Valentine next weekend, it'll be fairly interesting to see who prevails as premiers in this grade. It should be a win for Lakes on Wednesday.

My Tip: Wallsend 1-4 Lakes

Under 19's: Wallsend F.C (9th) v Lake Macquarie City (3rd)
Kickoff: Thursday 9th July 7:45pm
Last Time They Met: Lake Macquarie City 1-0 Wallsend F.C

Wallsend fell to a heavy defeat at Thornton on the weekend and with Lakes in very good form, I can only really see one winner here. The Red Devils will need improvement on recent weeks if they're to knock off premiership-chasing Lake Macquarie City.

My Tip: Wallsend 1-4 Lakes

Under 17's: Wallsend F.C (4th) v Lake Macquarie City (2nd)
Kickoff: Thursday 9th July 6:00pm
Last Time They Met: Lake Macquarie City 3-0 Wallsend F.C

Lakes needed to win their last match against Cessnock City and they did in emphatic fashion, winning 7-1. Wallsend though are in form and won't be easy beats so this one promises to be a very entertaining match-up. I thought Wallsend's 17's were defensively strong when I saw them play not too long ago and I'm still yet to see Lakes play in this grade, although I will on the weekend.

The Roosters are technically still premiership-favourites but obviously sit second after having the bye on the weekend. They need to win this game to overtake Kahibah and take back top spot. If the Roosters win this and Saturday's match at Cooks Hill then I think they'll confirm their spot as premiership-favourites. I think they'll win on Thursday but you never quiet know.

My Tip: Wallsend 1-3 Lakes

/////----------------------------------------------------------/////
///------------------------------------///

Under 22's: Emerging Jets U18's (3rd) v Broadmeadow (5th)
Kickoff: Thursday 9th July 7:45pm
Last Time They Met: Yet To Meet In 2015

This one is a tough one to predict as the 3rd-place Under 18 Jets meet 5th-placed Broadmeadow Magic. With the Magicians coming off a dominant 4-0 win over Maitland on the weekend and the Jets coming off a 3-1 win over South Cardiff, I'm not sure I can split these two. The Draw is the way I'm going to go here.

My Tip: Emerging Jets U/18's 2-2 Broadmeadow

Under 19's: Emerging Jets U16's (5th) v Broadmeadow (3rd)
Kickoff: Thursday 9th July 6:00pm
Last Time They Met: Yet To Meet In 2015

The Under 16 Emerging Jets fell to a shocking 5-1 loss to South Cardiff on the weekend and considering Magic are coming off a 5-0 win over Maitland, I can only really go one way with my tip in this game.

My Tip: Emerging Jets U/16's 1-3 Broadmeadow

/////----------------------------------------------------------/////
///------------------------------------///

Jesmond F.C (5th) v Morisset United (1st)
Kickoff: Thursday 9th July-7PM
**Moved to Heaton Park**
Last Time They Played: Yet To Meet In 2015

Jesmond FC fell to a 3-1 loss to Stockton on the weekend and it gets no easier for the Rams as the in-form ladder-leaders come to Heaton Park. Morisset United are flying high this season and are on track for a return to the Zone Premier League if they can keep their form together.

This is an important game for both sides as Jesmond are indeed chasing a finals spot but with Morisset chasing the premiership and promotion, I feel like there's added importance for the Strikers. Morisset can really take an advantage in the title race if they make the most of their catch-up games and they're my tip to get the job done on Thursday night.

My Tip: Jesmond F.C 1-3 Morisset United

/////----------------------------------------------------------/////
///------------------------------------///

Warners Bay (6th) v Charlestown Junior (7th)
Kickoff: Tuesday 7th July-8PM
Last Time They Played: Charlestown 0-0 Warners Bay

These sides played out a scoreless draw on the weekend and I'm sure both will be aiming to do better than that later tonight. I heard Charlestown had the better chances on the weekend but not being there myself I can't really comment on that.

What I do know is that this game is crucial for both side's top four chances and looking at form this year, I can't go past Warners Bay. They've put on some very decent displays this year and they'll be keen to win this derby of sorts against Charlestown. It'll be close though.

My Tip: Warners Bay 2-1 Charlestown

/////----------------------------------------------------------/////
///------------------------------------///

Kurri Kurri (9th) v University F.C (2nd)
Kickoff: Tuesday 7th July-8PM
Last Time They Played: University 6-2 Kurri Kurri

With the title race narrowing down every week, the University cannot afford to drop points to struggling Kurri Kurri tonight. The Roosters are coming off the back of back-to-back draws with Tenambit and will know that there in for a very tough test in tonight's game.

The University are seven points behind leaders Raymond Terrace so every game is important and considering they're in good form and they beat Kurri 6-2 earlier this season, I can't go past the visitors in this one.

My Tip: Kurri Kurri 1-4 University