Sunday, 21 June 2015

FFA Cup NNSW Qualifying Day 2 Review

EDGEWORTH FC 3-0 Adamstown Rosebud

Adamstown Rosebud were seeking to add another chapter into their proud club history but it wasn't going to be easy as they were up against a quality Edgeworth FC side in the first of two fixtures at the Lake Macquarie Regional Football Facility. Both teams started cautiously, knowing any early slip up could cost them a spot in the FFA Cup Round of 32.

Edgeworth started the stronger of the two sides and were making Adamstown’s defence think early on as they tried to enter the penalty box a few times. Brodie Taylor had the first shot on target of the match, forcing a comfortable but necessary save from Rosebud keeper Scott Carter.

It was only moments before e second chance came as Keanu Moore bared down on goal one on one with Carter. Moore could only find the post but the ball remained in the six yard box leaving Brenton Olzomer with a simple tap in giving Edgeworth an early 1-0 lead.

Adamstown created their first real chance at the other end as Kim Tae-Sung took off down the right wing. The Korean could have passed to a man in the middle but decided to go direct himself, forcing Jim Fogarty into a stinging save. Moments later Nick Bale rounded the keeper but could only find the side netting.

The Rosebuds started to click a bit more and were looking dangerous down the right wing where Travis Cooper was showing some pace. A free kick chance to Kim Tae-Sung was on target but again could only find Jim Fogarty in the middle of the Edgeworth goal. The Eagles turned the table and put the ball into net at the opposite end, only to be correctly denied by an offside call.

Scott Carter was forced into his first diving save of the game by a probing shot from Eagles midfielder Lachie Pasquale. Kim Tae-Sung was one of Adamstown’s busiest in the first half and created another chance as he broke free of defence but couldn't force a shot good enough to beat Jim Fogarty. 

The Eagles broke away from Adamstown again and were stopped by a sliding Alex Gillespie. The Rosebud defender timed his challenge wrong and was correctly shown a red card as he was the last line of defence. An unfortunate way for the Buds to go down to ten men but a correct call from the official.

The Rosebuds gave away another free kick in a dangerous position and Edgeworth’s Justin Tannock’s swirling shot forced Scott Carter into another diving save. That would be the last chance of an entertaining first half in the FFA Cup Round of 32 Qualifier. Edgeworth looked the better side in the first forty-five and deserved the half-time lead.

The first yellow of the game came when Pat Wheeler was shown a card for his challenge on an Adamstown player. The Eagles then created a glorious chance to score when Justin Tannock was through on goal but the #14 could only send his shot agonisingly wide of the post. Moments later Brody Taylor almost sent a header into the net but shaved the upright instead. 

Edgeworth were firing and creating space and it wasn't long before their next chance came. Brenton Olzomer had a header saved by a spectacular but the rebound went straight to the head of Justin Tannock and the winger made no mistake as he headed home a second for the Eagles.

Scott Carter produced one or two decent saves but couldn't stop Brenton Olzomer from adding a third for the Eagles which all but sealed their fate and a trip to the Round of 32 in the FFA Cup. Not long after, Edgeworth were shown yellow again when Dylan Holz brought down an Adamstown player. The quick fire yellows kept coming for Edgeworth as Ayden Brice went into the referees notebook.

3-0 is how it would stay as Edgeworth secured a spot in the FFA Cup Round of 32 with a classy win. Going down to ten men didn't help Adamstown cause but at the end of the day they were outplayed today by a decent Edgeworth side.

BROADMEADOW 13 def. West Wallsend 0

Broadmeadow started the better of the two sides and it didn't take them long to get on the front foot. The first goal came from Kale Bradbury as Magic capitalised on a great early start. Not long after that Bradbury was on hand to a second and put even more pressure on West Wallsend. Within minutes it was three as Ko Sansin added scored from the right side of goal.

West Wallsend were lucky not to go further down as a Magic weaved and waved their way through the Bluebells’ defensive line. Ko Sansin was showing some skill and could have added more to his goal tally a couple of times. Just before half-time, Dino Fajkovic added a fourth goal to all but seal a passage to the Round of 32 for Magic.

The second half continued the form for Magic as Dino Fajkovic fired in two quickfire goals to secure a hat-trick and stretch Magic’s lead to 6-0. A horror leg injury to Luke Virgili brought the game to a stop for a while as he retireved treatment. Not a good way to end the day for the Magic fullback. (Virgili's injury wasn't as bad as originally thought and definitely wasn't a tear or break as I had thought. Great news for Virgili and his Magic teammates).

Straight off the free kick Josh Piddington was found roaming around the box and headed one home to make it seven for the NPL side. Amazingly the big central defender would add a second to stretch the lead to eight just moments later. Not long after that Peter Haynes would add his name to the scoresheet. Chris Berlin was the next scorer for Magic and scored a second not long after. One more goal came from Chris Berlin and then another from Peter Haynes.

The West Wallsend players tried hard but once it got out of reach they struggled to keep Magic at bay. I thought Wade Perram pulled off some decent saves in the first half and helped keep the scoreline less than what it could have been. Young attacker Josh Knight was decent when he came on and tried to really take it to Magic. Jarrod Olivieri pulled off one or two nice little touches as well but there wasn't too much joy at all for the Bluebells in this one. 

West Wallsend were ultimately outclassed severely on the day but from forfeiting in Round 1 of the  FFA Cup last season to making the final stage of qualifying this season is a big achievement for a historic club. But in saying that, today belonged to Broadmeadow and it's Magic who March into their second consecutive FFA Cup Round of 32.

-Ty Stedman

No comments:

Post a comment