Monday, 11 May 2015

PREVIEW: Mid-Week NPL & New-FM Games

1st Grade: Broadmeadow (2nd) v Adamstown (9th)
Tuesday 12th May 7:00pm

Broadmeadow Magic were held to a 2-2 draw with Lambton on the weekend and will be looking to return to the winners' circle when they take on the out-of-form Adamstown Rosebud on Tuesday night. I caught the Buds late comeback draw with Hamilton last Wednesday night and they'll need a similar spirit and will to get past Magic on Tuesday.

Losing 2-0 to Edgeworth will not help the Buds' confidence and I'm tipping against them to record their first win of the NPL season. Magic at home should be too strong for the team in green and white.

My Tip: Broadmeadow 3-0 Adamstown

Under 22's: Broadmeadow (9th) v Adamstown (10th)
Wednesday 13th May 7:30pm

Broadmeadow's reserve squad have started the season slowly and with the depth they've got it's a bit strange to not see them further up the table. They'll be eyeing off Wednesday night as a chance to break their winless run against an Adamstown side that have lost four straight. Magic for my money here.

My Tip: Broadmeadow 2-1 Adamstown

Under 19's: Broadmeadow (3rd) v Adamstown (9th)
Wednesday 13th May 6:00pm

Adamstown are lacking in the Under 19's competition as well and I don't like their chances against a Magic side coming off of a comprehensive 4-0 victory over the Jaffas on Saturday. I can't see the upset happening in this one, clean sheet for Magic in this one.

My Tip: Broadmeadow 2-0 Adamstown

1st Grade: Lambton (6th) v Charlestown City (7th)
Wednesday 13th May 6:30pm

Two sides that will be desperate for a mid-week win will meet at Arthur Edden oval on Wednesday night. Lambton will be coming off the back of a a 2-2 draw with Broadmeadow whilst Charlestown City will be aiming to bounce back after a weekend loss to the Newcastle Jets Youth side.

For my tip I'm going to back the home side. The Jaffas will be keen to record a home win against a Charlestown side that have been lacking somewhat this season following some off-season departures. It's a big game for both sides but the Jaffas I think are the better side.

My Tip: Lambton 3-1 Charlestown

Under 22's: Lambton (6th) v Charlestown City (8th)
Tuesday 12th May 7:30pm

The Jaffas picked up a big win in the Under 22's on Saturday with a 3-0 result over Broadmeadow Magic and facing a Charlestown side that lose 3-1 to the Jets 18's, the boys from Lambton will be full of confidence. With an extra day in between games and coming off a good win, I have to back the home side here to get the job done.

My Tip: Lambton 3-0 Charlestown

Under 19's: Lambton (8th) v Charlestown City (6th)
Tuesday 12th May 6:00pm

In the 19's, the Jaffas will be keen to bounce back from a disappointing 4-0 loss to Broadmeadow on the weekend but against a Charlestown team comizng off a 1-0 win over the Jets on the weekend, I think it'll be a tough ask with such short time between games. I'm tipping a low scoring match but the visitors to get over the line.

My Tip: Lambton 0-1 Charlestown

UPDATE:
1st Grade: Maitland v Jets Youth

It's too late to predict the 19 and 22's for this clash that I didn't even know was on this week but I'm going to back the visiting Jets Youth in the main fixture. Maitland picked up a decent point against their local rivals Weston on the weekend but are up against a Jets Youth side that are starting to find some form.

A 3-1 victory over Charlestown last week moved the Jets up the table and I think they'll back that up with another three points on Wednesday night. Apologies for not having the graphics and what not ready but I just found out this game was on.

1st Grade: Kahibah FC (6th) v Cooks Hill United (5th)
Wednesday 13th May 8:00pm

I was a bit surprised on Monday to see this pop up on the re-scheduled fixtures page, especially considering both teams still need to play their Round 5 catch-up games against Cessnock City and Thornton Redbacks respectively. Anyway it's a crucial game for both as a top four spot could potentially be on the cards for the winner.

The Greens have won three straight matches and are full of confidence but Cooks Hill are a tougher opponent than the ones they've beaten in recent times. A top four spot will be awarded to the winner considering West Wallsend don't have a catch-up game this week and both will be keen to crack the four in their debut New-FM seasons.

As for my prediction, I got to see Cooks Hill play on Sunday and whilst they weren't incredibly impressive, they did manage to grind out a win against a very decent Belswans side. Kahibah though did record a win against Toronto-Awaba and made it three straight victories.

I think this game could go either way or perhaps even end in a stalemate but defending seems to be a strength of Cooks Hill and I'm going to back them to ruin Kahibah's homecoming on Wednesday night.

My Tip: Kahibah 1-2 Cooks Hill

Under 23's: Kahibah FC (6th) v Cooks Hill United (7th)
Wednesday 13th May 6:15pm

I was first-hand witness to some frustration among the Cooks Hill 23's camp and after a disappointing result against Belmont-Swansea on the weekend, the Cookers will need to step it up against in-form Kahibah. Do I think they'll do it, I'm not so sure. Kahibah for the win here.

My Tip: Kahibah 2-1 Cooks Hill

Under 19's: Kahibah FC (7th) v Cooks Hill United (4th)
Tuesday 12th May 8:00pm

I got to see Cooks Hill's 19s in action on Sunday and I thought they showed some real class despite going down 4-1 to the Belswans. I was impressed with the quality of both sides and it was Belswans who took the points. Cooks Hill will be keen to bounce back but it will be tough against a team coming off of a 5-2 win on the weekend.

I'm going to tip the visitors to bounce back. It's a big game for both sides so anything's possible but Cooks Hill will be keen to consolidate their top four position.

My Tip: Kahibah 1-3 Cooks Hill

Under 17's: Kahibah FC (3rd) v Cooks Hill United (4th)
Tuesday 12th May 6:15pm

This could very well be the game of the round between these two clubs as Kahibah's defensively-strong 17's side clash with a Cooks Hill side looking to return to the winners' circle after a disappointing result at Blacksmiths on Sunday morning.

I honestly do not know which way to go here so I'll go with the draw. As mentioned Kahibah's defensive record is very strong but so is Cooks Hill's when you factor out their loss to the top of the table Lakes. Kahibah are yet to play Lakes so going on that, I'm backing a 1-1 draw.

My Tip: Kahibah 1-1 Cooks Hill

1st Grade: Lake Macquarie City (4th) v Cessnock (8th)
Wednesday 13th May 8:00pm

Before Saturday I would have backed Lakes to ease to victory but their loss to Singleton proves that their fortress at Macquarie Field is indeed penetrable. Cessnock City though will need to step up and put in the best performance of their season so far.

The 3-0 weekend loss to Wallsend doesn't give me much confidence towards the Hornets' chances on Wednesday night and considering Lakes have had an extra day's rest, I have to go with the home side. The race to the top is too important to lose two games in a row.

Promotion could be on the cards if Lakes finish top of the table. A loss here would damage their promotion hopes and see them crash potentially crash out of the top four to a promoted side. Not a result the boys at Lakes would want to see.

My Tip: Lakes 4-1 Cessnock City

Under 23's: Lake Macquarie City (3rd) v Cessnock (2nd)
Wednesday 13th May 6:15pm

Talk about a big clash. Lakes 3rd placed reserve side will take on 2nd-placed Cessnock. A win for either would really cement a top four spot as the season nears its halfway point. Lakes edged Singleton 2-1 on Saturday whilst Cessnock could only draw with a lower-ranked Wallsend squad. I'm going with the home side here.

My Tip: Lakes 3-1 Cessnock City

Under 19's: Lake Macquarie City (3rd) v Cessnock City (6th)
Tuesday 12th May 8:00pm

Lakes' 19's side booted themselves into form as they eased to a 7-0 win over Singleton on Saturday and against a team that hasn't hit great heights in recent weeks, I think the Roosters could make it another win and move further into the top four.

My Tip: Lakes 4-0 Cessnock City

Under 17's: Lake Macquarie City (1st) v Cessnock City (10th)
Tuesday 12th May 6:15pm

Top of the table and seven from seven, there's no way at all Lakes should be losing this game to lowly Cessnock. The Hornets' 17's have endured a tough season and Tuesday night could be another heavy loss if Sunday's result against Wallsend is anything to go by. Lakes should be too strong here.

My Tip: Lakes 7-0 Cessnock City

1st Grade: Singleton (9th) v Thornton (10th)
Wednesday 13th May 7:50pm

Before the weekend, this game wouldn't have been an interesting one to say the least but after two upsets for both sides, anything could happen at Howe Park on Wednesday night. The Redbacks pulled off a gutsy 3-3 draw with West Wallsend but Singleton recorded the upset of the season with a 3-1 victory over Lake Macquarie City.

The Strikers return home with confidence and if they can shut shop at the back similar to Saturday's game I believe they can overcome Thornton. It's a crucial game for both as a win would move them away from the foot of the table. At home, Singleton should get the job done.

My Tip: Singleton 2-0 Thornton

Under 23's: Singleton (11th) v Thornton (4th)
Wednesday 13th May 6:15pm

Thornton's 23's proved their worth on Sunday with a 3-2 victory over West Wallsend and will be keen to keep their unbeaten run alive on Wednesday night. Singleton are yet to register a win in the 23's and it'll likely be an uphill battle against in-form Thornton for the Strikers.

My Tip: Singleton 0-3 Thornton

Under 19's: Singleton (11th) v Thornton (9th)
Tuesday 12th May 7:50pm

The Thornton Redbacks 19's aren't having the best of seasons and have lost four from six so far in 2015. Truthfully though they haven't been too far off the pace in a couple of those games. Singleton meanwhile are winless and coming off of a 7-0 defeat to Lakes. Redbacks for me here.

My Tip: Singleton 1-4 Thornton

Under 17's: Singleton (8th) v Thornton (11th)
Tuesday 12th May 6:15pm

Thornton's Under 17's needed a boost on the weekend and they got that by drawing 2-2 with West Wallsend and denying the Bluebells a chance to enter the top four. Singleton were on the receiving end of a big defeat at Macquaire Field and will need to turn things around on Tuesday. I'll cautiously tip a draw here but a Thornton win wouldn't surprise me.

My Tip: Singleton 1-1 Thornton

Under 19's: Toronto-Awaba (10th) v Valentine F.C (2nd)
Wednesday 13th May 7:30pm

The former ladder leaders are back in action on Wednesday night and will be keen to regain top spot with a victory over the struggling Stags. There's not many reasons to tip the home side here. Their backing up from a weekend match against a team in-form and coming off a bye. Valentine by a few.

My Tip: Toronto-Awaba 0-3 Valentine

Under 17's: Toronto-Awaba (6th) v Valentine F.C (9th)
Wednesday 13th May 6:00pm

Toronto got off to a strong start in the Under 17's competition but have fallen away in recent times. Valentine on the other hand have been on the end of some big defeats in their last few outings. The home side should and will see this game as a real chance to return to the winners' circle.

My Tip: Toronto-Awaba 3-1 Valentine

Under 19's: West Wallsend (5th) v Wallsend (8th)
Thursday 14th May 7:30pm

Wallsend's Under 19's could only draw with Cessnock City on Sunday and now face another tough away test as they travel down the Link Road to the home of their arch rivals. West Wallsend showed some desire to get over the line against Thornton on Sunday and I'm backing them to do the same on Thursday night as well.

My Tip: West Wallsend 2-1 Wallsend

Under 17's: West Wallsend (5th) v Wallsend (2nd)
Thursday 14th May 6:00pm

This will be a tough test for both sides as the two local rivals face off at Johnston Park. West Wallsend have played well against teams below them on the table but this will be arguably the test of their season so far when they face an in-form Wallsend side.

The Red Devils picked up a 7-0 win on the weekend and whilst I don't think they'll bag a bucketload on Thursday night, I can't see them dropping points here.

My Tip: West Wallsend 1-4 Wallsend