Sunday, 8 March 2015

RESULTS: A-League Week 20

My Tip: Newcastle 1-3 Sydney FC (1 from 1)

I was on hand to watch Sydney FC's 1-0 win over the Newcastle Jets at Hunter Stadium and I can say it wasn't the best performance I've seen from Sydney this year, in fact they were far off some of the heights they've reached this season. 

Newcastle were playing a bit more of an attacking game than in recent weeks and came awfully close to taking the lead a few times throughout the game. Sydney however controlled the majority of the chances and were unlucky not to have a lead going into half-time.

Vedran Janjetovic was strong in goal and pulled off one or two good saves to keep the sides level. Marc Janko was menacing and trust me he is hard to miss on the field when you're at the game with just his height alone helping him stand out from the others. I think I mentioned in my preview that I wouldn't be surprised if the Austrian was the difference and I was correct with that call.

Janko's 68th minute goal wasn't the best strike he's scored the season but it would turn out to be the difference as Sydney rightfully picked up the three points. They were simply the better team on the night but again I think they could have been better.

My Tip: Wellington 2-1 Adelaide (2 from 2)

I didn't actually get to see this game as I was busy playing my own game but Wellington continued their good form and went outright second on the table with a 2-0 win over Adelaide United at the Hutt Recreational Ground. The match was evenly-poised at 0-0 until new-man Joel Griffiths struck for his side in the 79th minute.

The former Jet got on the end of Louis Fenton's cross to put the Phoenix up 1-0. Another former Jet Nathan Burns headed home a second for his side just three minutes later as Wellington strolled clear of any potential Adelaide comeback. The three points would take the Phoenix to 2nd spot on the A-League table.

My Tip: Melb Victory 2-1 Perth Glory (2 from 3)

The top of the table clash lived up to the hype and more as Victory and Perth played out a highly-entertaining 1-1 draw at AAMI Park. I didn't see too much of the first half as I was watching an NRL game but I did catch the controversial opener from Andy Keogh. The offside flag stayed down and had the home fans and their team furious going into half-time.

I've enjoyed watching Victory play this year and one of my favourites in their team is Scott Galloway so I was a bit disappointed to see him dropped from the side after scoring his first A-League goal last week. His replacement, Daniel Georgievski, proved why he took the spot when he scored an absolute stunner from the edge of the box in the 63rd minute. Clarity was restored.

Victory were incredibly lucky not to concede a penalty when the ball smashed into Nick Ansell's outstreched arm inside the box. Perhaps the home fans saw that as an equaliser for the missed offside for Perth's goal.

I noticed with a few minutes left that Perth had 7 yellow cards to Victory's 1 and it came as no surprise when Mitch Nichols was sent for a second yellow in stoppage time. Neither team managed to get a winner so Victory would stay locked in fourth and Perth would go back to the summit of the A-League table but remain winless in their last seven games.

No comments:

Post a comment